Thanksgiving is almost here again, which means one thing: food, food and more food. From 30-lb turkeys and honey-baked hams to buttery biscuits and creamy mashed potatoes, there’s no end to the different kinds of food you’ll be consuming on this gluttonous holiday. And for most families, this feast doesn’t just stop with their human members — it includes the furry kids, too. You might think that it’s completely safe to treat your pet with a table scrap or two, but in actuality, you might be harming your dog or cat more than you know. Foods that you love to eat might be toxic to your pets, causing sickness or even death. Before you slip something off your plate and into your pet’s mouth, take some time to educate yourself on the foods you should absolutely not share with your pets this Thanksgiving.

1. Turkey Drippings, Fat, Skin or Gravy

Your pet might lick their lips when they see or smell the extra fat or drippings from the turkey or roast beef, but refrain from giving it to your dog or cat. Fatty foods are extremely difficult for pets to digest and can cause your pet to vomit or have diarrhea. In more serious cases, it can result in pancreatitis.

2. Turkey Bones

Not only can bones of any kind get stuck in your pet’s throat, causing them to choke, but it can also splinter or break, resulting in damage to their stomach or even puncturing their abdomen.

3. Alliums (Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Scallions)

These ingredients may add flavor to your food, but they can be extremely fatal in high doses to your pet. Consuming large amounts of onions, garlic, leeks or scallions can result in gastroenteritis and even anemia.

4. Cobs (of Corn)

While corn is OK in moderation, the cob is not. Just like bones, cobs may get lodged into your pet’s throats in an instant.

5. Mushrooms

Wild mushrooms can cause a lot of damage to your dog’s internal organs, from their kidneys to their central nervous system. In more serious cases, it can even lead to toxic poisoning. Most mushrooms from the grocery store are generally OK, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

6. Raw Dough or Cake Batter

Most batters contain raw eggs, which can cause salmonella poisoning. What’s more, it may rise in your pet’s stomach, resulting in bloating and vomiting.

7. Desserts with Xylitol (Sugar Substitute)

Sugar is never good for your pets, but sugar substitutes are even worse. High doses of xylitol can cause extreme liver damage in your pet.

8. Chocolate

Most everyone, responsible pet owners especially, know that chocolate is fairly toxic to pets. It’s never a good idea to share any sort of chocolate with your pet due to its caffeine and theobromine components, but above all, it’s extremely important to never, ever share dark chocolate — it’s the deadliest.

9. Raisins and Grapes

Ingesting raisins or grapes can be extremely dangerous to your pets and can result in kidney failure

10. Alcohol

Without a doubt, you should not be sharing any kind of alcohol, in any kind of form whatsoever. This includes desserts with alcohol in it, like rum-soaked cakes or tiramisu.